Thursday, August 2, 2012

Eye Opening Wake-Up Call


"You prepare a table before me. . ."  Psalm 23:5, NIV

"Breakfast is ready! Come to the table!"

Who has not uttered these words or at least heard this call?

Often what follows is silence and a period of waiting, soon to be followed by another call and another period of waiting ~ then, perhaps another, and another.

Frustration certainly sets in after I prepare a nice breakfast and those I have called do not come, or they simply choose to come on their own timetable. Then, upon arriving at the table they groggily devour what I have prepared with hardly a word spoken, much less one of gratitude. 

Starting our day with a good breakfast boosts our energy, increases our attention spans, and heightens our sense of well-being. By recharging the brain and body, we are more efficient in just about everything we do. 

Recently, God reminded me of how, more times than I care to confess, I hear his early morning call and yet keep him waiting after he has prepared a wonderful table for me. Far too often I choose to grab a quick bite on the run by reading a one-minute devotional, listening to my favorite worship CD, or by pulling up an inspiring message on my iPod. Though beneficial, these are all poor substitutes for spending time at the table with my Savior, enjoying his presence, gleaning from his Word, and pausing to give thanks. 

Just as eating a good breakfast maintains our physical and mental well being, coming to the table upon the Lord's call enhances our spiritual well-being. Our inner man is energized, our spiritual awareness and discernment heightened, and our knowledge and love for the Lord and others grows deeper. By recharging our spiritual bodies, not only do we become more efficient in all that we do, but all that we do glorifies Him.

Oops! I'm so sorry. I hate to run. But I think I hear my Father calling.

By the way, do you have breakfast plans this morning?

"When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him . . ."  Luke 24:30-31



No comments:

Post a Comment